Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Oops

I really am horrible at remembering I have a blog. All I need is one sufficiently distracting thing, and BAM it's existence ceases to be something I'm aware of.

Luckily something usually jogs my memory.

I've been weirdly on top of my work lately. Like, it's legitimately unprecedented for me.

I'm the procrastination queen. I do everything at the last minute; its a way of life for me.

And yet, sometime, three weeks ago, I accidentally wrote down the due date for a huge paper a week earlier than it was actually due, which resulted in me getting ahead on my work.

Suddenly I had time to do all my other work in a timely matter.

And since then, I've been precisely on top of my work, with enough time to get everything done without cramming, and enough bumper room to make sure I have time to rest and relax and stay healthy.

I think part of it also has to do with the fact that my boyfriend is visiting this weekend, the weekend before finals, and I'm worried about a) getting distracted and not doing the studying I need to do and b) having to study all weekend and thus not getting to spend much quality time with him. Consequently, I've been working diligently to make sure I'm on top of my work, rather than behind, so I don't have to cram this weekend.

I'm not saying this to gloat. It's a life lesson that I think should be shared.

I don't have any more time than usual, nor do I have less work than usual, simply put, I just do stuff when I need to do it rather than putting it off as long as possible.

I'm amazed how....rewarding trying this new approach has been. Procrastination might be addictive, but so its staying on top of your work. I'm so much less stressed, can really enjoy the time I spend not working, and I work better because I'm not so hyper pressured to finish my work.

I'm rather acutely aware of the fact that at any point in time I could get knocked off my balance, get behind, and end up cramming as usual. Which, interestingly, motivates me further to do my work now rather than later so that doesn't happen. It still feels weird to run out of things to study and go to sleep rather than staying up all night to study as much as possible. I've also noticed I seem to be more sensitive to changes in stress levels. Which I suppose makes sense, I'm not so hyper stressed that I lose all sense to magnitude.

We'll see how the week plays out.I have two problem sets due tomorrow, which I finished yesterday, and an exam friday, which I'm almost done with my study outline for, meaning I can spend a little time today and tomorrow starting to prepare for my two exams Tuesday rather than waiting until after my Friday exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment