Monday, November 1, 2010

Fortunate

I thought about titling this "Unexpected fortune" but then I realized that "unexpected" is sort of implied in the meaning of "fortune" given its association with luck.

And then I thought about titling it "fortuitous" but then realized that implied something happening entirely by chance, which isn't the case; a series of predictable events, had I thought about it enough, led to what I'm about to talk about, but because I didn't think about it enough, it was unexpected. It's a pleasant surprise and thus rather fortunate, but not at all entirely due to random chance, and hence not at all fortuitous.

Words are interesting.

Anyway.

I'm trying to sort out the mess that is my potential schedule for next semester. It's a...well.....clusterfuck. To say the least. I've got about 7 things up in the air that are all partially contingent on each other (the messy side of double counting) and thus well...its just a mess.

I'm nervous every time I hear my phone get an email because I'm afraid it will be another professor turning down another request for course approval for a particular requirement I'm trying to frantically fulfill. (ranting moment: you'd think two summers researching, one summer interning, and two semesters volunteering for a non-profit would get my experiential education requirement fulfilled, but it seems all to indicative of my life that....no, of course not.)

But the good part of the story is that I am now in need of a humanities course. I'll be taking probably 3 philosophy classes next semester (leaving me curious if I'm close to an accidental minor) so I was looking to mix it up a little and see what the english department had to offer.

Come to find out, they have a literary arts (very humanities) course in "life writing"

COOL!

So, hopefully, fortunately (but not fortuitously!) I will be able to take a course in the art of writing a life story next semester. Which will be very interesting to think further about how and why people share their stories the way they do, the implications of the way the story is told, and be able to develop a greater understanding of how to tell my story.

Nice, very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment