Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tattoo

Random thought: but I really don't get why people say, "I want a tattoo that says this jslfkjslfksfjs and then I want it in french/italian/sanskrit/hebrew/whatever language they don't speak"

1. Words on your body should be a language you understand

2. If you so choose a language other than your native tongue, it should be one that has personal meaning to you

3. The combination of the phrase and the language should have some sensical connection. I would probably go so far as to argue that it should only necessitate the use of another language if it is a colloquial phrase IN THAT LANGUAGE. Picking a phrase in english and then translating at whim often seems to take away so much of the meaning, both literal and sentimental.

For example: a lot of people like "joie de vivre" it sounds close to english and thus is easy to understand, the joy of life (fyi, joie is NOT pronounced joy, but closer to "jeu-wah"). Um, yeah, you probably won't hear that coming out of a french person's mouth any time soon. I feel like a lot of people use this in the sense of saying something IS their joie de vivre (which would more accurately be their raison d'etre), or a way to remember that life is joyful. Connotations translating, and its closer to "taking joy in life," relishing it. That's not how most people use it. Fail.

That's all.

1 comment:

  1. I always go with what my oldest son says "I wouldn't want to choose a painting or poster to hang on my wall if IT HAD TO HANG THERE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!" So why put permanent art on my body?

    Natural is beautiful and it speaks to any language!

    ReplyDelete