Friday, November 19, 2010

Hmm....

I'm a little worried about the new Parker and Stone "The Book of Mormon" musical. We all know the cynical axe the South Park creators have to grind when it comes to Mormonism, I wouldn't be surprised if this was their most glorious satirical exhibition yet. I'm also fairly sure there's a lot of members of the Mormon world that are fairly concerned about the potential this production has to further taint their already highly misunderstood religion.

I'm further concerned about it being set in Uganda. The missionary rules are a little different there, as they should be, it's not the United States, but a couple of things can be easily taken out of context and misconstrued. I've been told that missionaries have been "advised" to focus their efforts of financially stable families, I can see this easily being interpreted as selective salvation, but it's truly a method to ensure that Africa doesn't become one big Church welfare project. Additionally, there are certain rules pertaining to polygamist families in Uganda, that unless they don't get their facts exactly straight....idk. Again, concerned.

I struggle to understand how people can find so much entertainment in taking such a blasphemous, taunting, stance on something that people live their lives by and hold as sacred. In general. Go spend your time building people up, not tearing them down, there's already enough of that in this world, no need to contribute further for mere sake of amusement.

I'm gonna look into it more so be watching for a follow up post.

No comments:

Post a Comment