Saturday, July 10, 2010

How Not to Pack for India

First and foremost, it is of vital importance not to pack for India as if you are packing for Uganda.

In other words, do not pack as if you are going to a place where pretty much nothing is available and you must take everything with you.

Everything is available here, and most of it is cheaper and thus makes more sense to buy when you get here.

Some of these items to buy cheaper here include: tissues, toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, baby wipes, towels, body wash, hand soap, etc. Basically the bathroom necessities.

Except for face wash. They have Clean and Clear here but it’s just soap, so you prefer some with medication in it, you’ll have to bring it.

Antibacterial wipes are a must for sweaty faces and food covered fingers. PACK LOTS.

Same with hand sanitizer, although I find myself using it less the longer I'm here. I packed a small bottle and a big bottle to refill it with, and haven't even finished off the small bottle yet.

Do not pack food. Your protein bars will sit and collect dust, you will wonder what possessed you to think that almonds wouldn’t be available, and marvel at why you bothered to haul a bag of dead and dried cow meat half way around the world. The food is so savory and satisfying that I’ve barely noticed the absence of meat and haven’t craved American food (well, except for iceberg lettuce. I could really go for some cold, crisp, fresh, crunchy, watery lettuce).

Packing a towel was a waste of space, although wash clothes for the bucket baths was a really good call.

PACK A REFILLABLE WATER BOTTLE. I’m not sure why everyone except me thought of this. Probably because we lived off water bottles in Uganda and I didn’t even know home water filtration systems existed until I got here.

When I say don’t bring clothes, I mean, don’t bring clothes. If you must, do not bring shirts that give any hint at you having a figure and do not bring skirts that do not go to your ankles. Lose capris or long leggings (omg, too hot!) are acceptable depending on where you are, but you’ll be living in the salwar camis and curtas that you buy here.

Do pack a little makeup. I didn’t, and I’ve been asked several times why I don’t wear makeup and do I wear it in America and why not here and why am I so plain? The women here wear lipstick and eyeliner on special occasions and will basically expect you to do the same. Indians take great care to look their best and presentable, it’s a sign of status and dignity, so it seems a bit of an contradiction that the stereotypical American tourist in India looks like they’ve been living in the woods for a year.

Cheap rubber flip flops were a great call. While they take off their shoes at the house of a guest, they wear indoor sandals around the house. Also, packing my nicer strappy leather sandals in addition to my hiking sandals was a great call, I was worried it was unnecessary but what on earth did I think I would wear to all those weddings and parties?

1 comment:

  1. Love your list especially as I am pondering how to live for over a month out of my carry on bag when it will be half full of my scuba mask and fins! Kait had similar worries packing for her summer adventure in Tonga but found that while the goodies like toiletries are available they cost a small fortune in Tonga. Also she would love you to send her the protein bars as the family she has stayed with for this last little while has a Dad that recently lost his job and food has been very scarce. Add to that the 2 hour walk to town to buy any and it explains why Kait's husband has been off into the bush scavenging for the one fruit that actually grows in winter. Those kids are hungry, hungry!

    ReplyDelete