Sunday, May 24, 2009

I'm not quite sure how to say this

I’m weary of using overly specific examples for sake of sounding b*tchy but I do feel like this has been an important part of my trip. Basically, it’s interesting travelling again after Uganda. I don’t quite have enough clarity of perspective to pin point how I used to travel compared to now, but I do know I can clearly see how my perspective on situations and my surroundings has changed, significantly. I guess one thing I didn’t realize, or care about, at the time was how rough Uganda was, relatively speaking. I didn’t think anything of it at the time, it was my first time in a developing country and I had no standard to compare it to. I also, and I’m not sure how to say this, but I guess I go into “survival” mode pretty easily; I’m not particularly attached to my physical belongings and I don’t at all mind having to go without or be resourceful. I guess maybe one way to put it is that I’m more invested in having the local experience than I am having an imposed experience with all the comforts of home. I also don’t flip out when things are different. Maybe that makes me a bit stoic. I occasionally wonder at my lack of reaction to things, but just as frequently I don’t see the point in exerting the effort at the expense of a level head. I dunno. Even I don’t quite know how to explain it, but I think there is some sense to what I’m trying to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment