Sunday, May 24, 2009

Keep Your Eyes to Yourself

I’m still struggling to train myself not to make eye contact with people. It’s a bit funny, because I didn’t think I did very much, I usually don’t notice when I pass people I know because I don’t really focus specifically on any one thing. I guess I make eye contact more than I thought I did though because it’s sure taking effort to keep my eyes to myself. Learning to stop checking out guys is one thing, but what amuses the heck out of me is I didn’t realize how much attention I pay to what people wear. I’m constantly taking note of outfits people are wearing; layers, fabrics, colors, cuts, accessories. Guys and girls alike. Not like “checking them out” but more noting with interest, learning about clothes and styles, and getting ideas.
Amusing, eh? But really not good. We were at a store in Barcelona and this rat pack of two guys and two girls walked in, all of them dressed head to toe like they had just came from an Urban Outfitters photoshoot. It was so interesting to see them in the store, among the throngs of mediocrity. I ended up trying on sunglasses next to one of the girls and noticed some really cool henna on her hand and I turned my head to get a better look at the design, it looked like a peacock with feathers going up each finger. I instinctively turned around, like you do when you feel someone watching you, to find one of the guys standing in the background full on STARING at me, wide-eyed and unblinking as if to say, “stop looking at her.” Good heavens boy, are you really that territorial about probably the most non-homosexual girl on the planet looking at your girl’s henna? I brushed it off and kept moving about the store but it was definitely a lesson learned: keep your eyes to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment