Sunday, May 24, 2009

Who the heck am I?

It’s a question I’ve been asking myself for a long time, along with “what am I doing with my life?” And I found myself wondering again as I stood on the metro the other day and looked down at my strappy eco-friendly hiking-happy sandals, green cargo pants, long white linen tunic, bold African printed hobo bag, and henna-ed hands.

I am not the person I was two years ago. Not even one year ago.

Knowing that seems to bring on a sense of…release. Unlatched from the entrapments of a previously narrowly confined life. I don’t look back with spite, but rather with amusement at the long, windy path. I’ve become stronger on my own, more developed in character, broader in horizons, more open in thought, and much more confident and comfortable with myself.

The details of my chosen path don’t need to be specifically divulged at this time, but I do know that I’m very happy with the person I’ve become and that while I’m probably less sure than ever of where I’m going or what I’m doing, I wouldn’t have it any other way. Probable lack of self-esteem aside, I am confident that as I make decisions and learn to better follow my heart, I’ll end up in a place I’m happy with. This might sound overly optimistic, I tend to have an overly optimistic view of the world in general (due to general inclinations towards optimism, not so much naivety, if anything, I become more optimistic the more I learn about the world), but judging from the path I’ve taken, one I never would of fathomed I would take, it seems to be working for me so far. We’ll see where I end up, but for now, I’m enjoying the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment