Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Change is in the air?

So it's a long and boring story but I'm starting to consider getting a Masters in International Education Development instead of a Masters in International Affairs. Not only are the programs generally less competitive but there's considerable room to argue that an while an MIA is greatly applicable to a great number of fields and thus great for a future career, it is really broad. On the one hand, it could be a way to explore my interests more and figure out precisely where in the development field I want to end up, but on the other hand, it could be so general that I really don't learn a lot. Additionally, I don't plan on going into the NGO world or the foreign service and most MIAs are geared towards those two pretty binary paths. I want grad school to a time for me to narrow my focus and get a really deep and specialized education in my field. Focusing myself by studying Development Education would be a response to that desire.

It's a little scary though. I consider myself a teacher, but am I an educator? I'm not jumping up and down with excitement and going, "omg I found what I've been looking for my entire life!" (that's what I did when I found International Affairs), but being realistic, it might be the best option for me.

I don't want to study peace, or conflict, or disaster relief, or agriculture, or environment, or health, or elections. While I DO want to study governance, basically every program lumps it into "democracy and governance" and that's when I start rolling my eyes. Further, I'm interested in governance insofar as I want to better understand the relationship between the institution of the state and its citizens and how to manage and influence that. A friend once joked that I basically wish I was born in a developing country so that I could run it. Unfortunately, this isn't too far from the truth. While my interests do play well into research, academia, even policy analysis and consulting, it begs the question of what PART of policy to analyze and research. "Government policy" in general doesn't cut it, so then I run into the same issue as the first sentence of this paragraph of not really liking any of the sub fields.

Except education. The role of the school as a source of political information, as a place where knowledge and information are disseminated, of education as a information spreading strategy....all of that is REALLY interesting to me. There's also a lot of interesting theories about the relationship between education and development (social, economic) that I would really like to explore more and get experience with. So it makes sense. It might be a field I end up in even if I study International Affairs.

It's a big committment though. It makes it easier to get jobs in the field of international education (like parts of USAID, Oxfam, etc) but makes it considerably harder to say....work for the UNDP. I can still be a researcher, be a policy analyst, be a professor, but it does sort of force me to do all those from the angle of education.

It makes sense, I'm just not 100% comfortable with it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment