Wednesday, September 15, 2010

INTS 210

"Global Issues" is the required foundational course for my international studies major. Given that I transferred my Junior year, I wasn't exactly around to take it my freshman year and have found myself unable to waive the course, test out, swap credits, or any other means of avoidance.

Fully indulging my annoyance with this course is something I simply don't have the time or energy for, but I would like to share a few delightful tidbits of "knowledge" that have been imparted through the course so far:

-Globalization is a world wide evil that is a unstoppable, uncontrollable mystic external force that is controlling all of us against our will and destroying everyone's cultures.

-Liberalization (and I honestly don't think half the kids in the class actually know what this term means, let alone ANY significant facts, or theories, or studies, or anything scholarly about it) is BAD and we should all buy local and shop at farmer's markets and whole foods to encourage local cultural and cease to be mindless economic consumers void of social values.

-And today we learned that the Marshall Plan was basically a US conspiracy to control Europe and us imperialist Americans with superiority complexes cruelly forced American values and standards on European culture and therefore it was actually a horrible idea.

I think you should now have some idea of how I feel about the course. My patience is wearing thin on the number of uninformed ideas being fed to these freshman who don't know any better than to nod and say yes, who aren't being given the facts or even remotely informed about the current scholarly discussion on the topics. Don't get me wrong, critique is fine, great, healthy, and all that good stuff, but this is so subjectively one-sided it's absolutely ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment