Sunday, September 5, 2010

Order v. chaos

I was flipping through some style blogs I keep tabs on and found a blogger talking about a room they just love because of its symmetry, "how relaxing" they said.

I peered longer at the room. To me it seemed cold, stiff, overly formal. The idea of being in that room make me feel uptight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an organization freak who loves me some clean, bold, sleek contemporary lines, but I feel most at home amidst the clutter and unordered mess of the boheme, "how comfy" I say.

And so this interests me.

To one person, an ordered environment can be calming, relaxing: no stress about chaotic, unpredictable lines and not knowing where to fit in them.

Yet to another, the chaotic environment can be more comfortable: no stress about rigidity and conforming to a defined space.

What makes the difference?

1 comment:

  1. I want both. I love being in a clean minimalist hotel. And I've always dreamt of having a modern, sleek apartment in a beautiful high rise of a big city. But I also like the clutter of being surrounded of pictures and mementos and all the goodies that come from a life full of people and experiences I love. Can I have a cozy home, a sleek apartment, a beachy ocean home on stilts, a cabin full of western goodies?

    ReplyDelete