Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Which lane is the right lane?

Getting used to driving on the left in India took me a while. I was around more organized roads and more traffic than I was in Uganda (in other words, another drive on the left country that I've spent comparable time in) and consequently had to adjust to it more for sake of minimizing stress.

Even then, when I personally was behind the wheel more towards the end of my time there I found myself automatically reverting to driving on the right as instinct kicked in while I tried to handle everything else on the road.

So I thought I actually wasn't that well adjusted to the road system.

Funny thing is, three weeks back, and I STILL frequently, when I'm making a left or a right hand turn, have a moment in the middle of the turn where I become very, very confused about which lane I should be turning into.

Weird, right?

But seriously, I keep having to pause and stop and intentionally tell myself to turn into the right lane. I'm sure the people behind me appreciate it.....lots.

2 comments:

  1. No way can I drive on the wrong side of the road. In New Zealand I was too busy begging Buddy to get further from the edge of the cliff and SLOW DOWN! So scary. Buddy was actually good at it as was Kait's husband Michael. Good thing as Kait and Michael stayed an extra 10 days to chase the surf and Michael had to drive a huge, clunky, camper van not only on the wrong side of the road, with the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car but a stick shift with his wrong hand! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like Kait and Michael had some fantastic experiences and adventures this summer, I won't lie I'm a little jealous!

    Can't wait to hear more about your travels!

    ReplyDelete