Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I like driving in Europe!

Rather than take the train (meaning having to lift and lug all of Sandra’s luggage, and mine for that matter) we accepted a ride with our Dutch friend who was driving home and basically had to pass through Cologne on his way. I suppose I had room to be hesitant and Sandra kept asking me over and over again if I was ok with it, but quite honestly, I didn’t have any weird feelings or bad vibes on the matter. I didn’t know Martin super well, but I was impressed by how open, honest, and genuine he was in conversation. He didn’t try to persuade you of anything, nor did he present himself in any certain light or attempt to make a certain impression…he was as he was. I had a number of people tell me not to accept the ride and even told him straight up while we were sitting around the night before that I had a lot of reasons to take the train instead. He admitted that I had every right to feel that way given that I didn’t know him very well, but reassured me that I would get to my destination.
So…we threw our stuff in the trunk and headed off! Good heavens Europeans take their time with travel. Every two or three hours he needed to stop for a café break or just something to break up the day. What was probably an 8 hour drive took us about 12. Although, I’ll admit, randomly stopping in Lyon for lunch and exploring a bit afterwards was really enjoyable. After Lyon he asked if I wanted to drive (Sandra couldn’t because she doesn’t know how to drive stick…YET.) which I a little too eagerly agreed to. I was both surprised and impressed with how nicely that little Volvo drives; perfectly smooth clutch, and lots of get up and go. I was so proud that I drove from Lyon to Luxembourg! The rules are a little different but even Martin remarked how quickly he was able to relax with me behind the wheel. He also remarked how aggressive my driving is, which is partially true, I was a little more aggressive because I could get away with it on the European roads, good heavens they push their way through, but it is true I’m much more an offensive than defensive driver. 5 years and zero accidents though! (more than enough speeding tickets though…yeesh…). It was really an enjoyable drive, most, if not all, the experience I’ve had with long drives has either been alone or with just one other person so it was nice to have the company and long conversation/interrogation about current European perspectives on Europe, the EU constitution/treaty of Lisbon, other European countries, and the rest of the world. If you know me, you know part of nature is to be untrusting and skeptical (just another contradiction in my life; I think positively of humanity, but at the same time think everyone is out to get me. It’s complicated.) so the act of really, truly trusting someone is an exceptionally rare occurrence. But Martin, I think he is one who can be trusted.

He also offered to let me drive to the Dusseldorf airport from Cologne after we got to Germany so I can officially say I’ve driven 180km/hr on the Autobond! Sweeeeet.

No comments:

Post a Comment