Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Uganda: one year later

Ok, I thought this would make a nice complement to “My life: one year later” and I have had several observations, but…I’ve only been here 5 days (oh wow, it feels longer than that, in a good way). I’m still observing and will get back if and when some of my initial perceptions are confirmed.
Many things seem the same, I’m amazed that I keep bumping into people I met last year. The same house girls are still here (which is actually unusual). The same shoe lady still has her shop in Kampala. The same chapatti guy is still in the same place every day, selling hot chapat for 200 shillings. Caleb ran into Lamec, our boda driver last year, and I really need to track him down and see how the family is. Apparently the guys in the chapel I went to last year are asking about me so I might have to make an appearance before I leave.
Some things are a little different. And I think that things will become clearer when I go back to some of the schools I interviewed at last year. Mountain Dew is everywhere now. The Celtel phone company has been replaced by some new Zani company. A few new industrial companies have come in just outside Mukono; apparently Mukono is on the rise as a new industrial hub. Roads that were under construction last time are finished now. Buses! Buses are crowding out the taxi business! It’s fascinating real life economics. Ok, pause. I gotta talk about this a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment