Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Psycho-analyze this.

It’s funny how many things are upside down and backwards for me here. One weird thing is that I dream here. A lot. Back home it’s super, super rare if I am conscious of dreaming and when I do its usually some intense nightmarish type scenario along the lines of being caught in some impossible situation, cornered on every side with nowhere to turn and the future of the world resting on my shoulders. Or something along those lines.
But in Uganda I dream almost every night and have the most random dreams. I still remember dreaming about shopping at Wal-Mart last time I was here. And I don’t even shop at Wal-Mart. The one I had the other night actually is beginning to make more and more sense in context of my life at the moment but it still was ridiculous. Holding a few details back, it was along the lines of my friend’s frat had decided to go co-ed and I was apparently applying to join but nervous about the fact that I didn’t go to the same school so neither of us really discussed it because we weren’t sure how it was going to play out. I just remember sitting on his desk in one corner of the room staring at the application and him huddled in conversation with some other people at the other corner of the room, like I wasn’t even there. Then, suddenly, on the same campus (that wasn’t mine) I was in a cafeteria type place (sure looked like UNC though) and eating lunch with random people I had met just walking around but was really frustrated by the salad bar because they had apparently gotten rid of lettuce because it was so light and they wanted to get you to take more of the heavy toppings because you paid for the salad by the ounce. Man, I was ticked about that. And then the salad ended up costing $16. For a salad?! Do you see how ridiculous this dream was?

Why is that? Why do I dream so frequently and randomly here? Less stress? More things on my mind? Sub-consciously missing home?

No comments:

Post a Comment